The Biting of Bows: ampersands and other ligatures with Gemma Black
November 19 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm AEDT
Cost: $60 for members/$70 non members
There is nothing more alluring than sound structure in letterforms. The evolution of the ampersand, its styles and variations, has a history all of its own.
Come and explore this beautiful creature, its etymology, its history, traditional and modern and familiarise yourself with other famous ligatures. There will be a small component of research and analysis along with pen-work and drawing in this serious yet fun class. Suitable for all levels.
Specific skills you will learn at this workshop:
You will learn valuable research techniques and how to read a medieval manuscript and pick out ampersands & ligatures. You will draw both traditional and contemporary styles of ampersands and learn how to apply ligatures to a variety of hands in your calligraphy.
Handouts presented for download a couple of days before the workshop.
- Participants in this workshop will work via Zoom at the Warrane Neighbourhood House.
- Most of us will be working from there but as Gemma will be coming to us via Zoom, anyone can join us.
- Please let Jo know if you will be attending via Zoom at another location and she will send you the link. Email [email protected]
- Gemma uses ‘Padlet’ as an after workshop place to post work. Please try it out before the workshop. Gemma will add the handout and materials list on padlet.
- Jo will print out the exemplars for everyone so no need to print your own.
- Padlet – You can just click straight into here. You do not have to be a registered Padlet member or user: